Saturday 28 April 2007

In the post today...

Well not exactly, this isn't a post about my post, but more specifically a catalogue that arrived today from some High Street shop, I think H&M.

In my experience, there is nothing in a High Street shop that could remotely be of any interest to me, since I am completely averse to this fusion chic thats going around amongst the Muslim youth, where they wear shirt-dresses upon jumpers upon jeans upon trainers (no wonder it's called the 'layered look') but I admit I do get impressed at the way that these pieces of western attire, obviously NOT targeted at these lot, is turned so expertly into a paragon of modesty. So Islamically, I suppose there's nothing wrong, just a matter of taste (or lack of in my opinion).

Still, out of curiosity, I flicked through. Splashed over the first few pages was a model in a bikini, quickly flicked it over and was met with the same sight. True to form, on every subsequent page there was a similar woman modelling...well...almost nothing. Of course I abandoned it straight away ( Some females are under the false impression that they're only women so it should be ok, but the fact is that the thighs are 'satr' so its haraam to let your gaze fall on them, man or woman).

The word 'degrading' came to my mind as I put it away. Allah's (subhanahu wa ta'ala) command to believing women that they should 'draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty' (24:31) is so beautiful, so full of benevolence to his slaves that it is hard to describe.

Now the average non-Muslim will just retort 'how is that degradation, they are there by choice'
but of course it is, these particular models are there by choice, but the legions of western women have no choice but to follow the fashion and the culture that these clothes create and wear such things, emulate the 'style' that is being promoted by these people and it is obvious for all to see that when they don't, they lose all chance of success in this society. Its only the women of course who has to 'display their beauty' to get anywhere, for men it's completely irrevelent.

We see it everywhere. For a job interview, a woman's chances are hugely dependant on how she looks. A friend of mine was told to 'pretty herself up' for her job in Boots! For a measly job like that, she was told to make sure she put her make-up on everyday!

I don't know about you but I always think of Carol Vorderman. I remember her from countdown when she used to wear loose-fitting trousers, full sleeves, and a smart jacket. All very modest. Her profile rocketed though after her 'new look' and I'm relying on you to remember because i'm not providing any pictures, she lost weight, wore stilettos loads more and showed loads more leg and bust. Look at this, but it's from 1999 which details her change and is predicted not to be a good omen. http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,,321599,00.html

Now though she is one of the most highest paid faces on TV.

I couldn't think of a more pertinent illustration of what women have to do to make their mark in the West, all because they refuse to see the wisdom behind the revelation that the Prophet received, the command to practise hijab.

No comments: